Tuesday, February 3, 2009

In a heart beat....!....pt 2

Last night my very best friend was involved in a serious accident. Her car and Mr I Can Drive How I Want To's cars were destroyed. My heart stopped when I heard her shocked voice calling me and telling me to come RIGHT NOW!!! At least she was able to call me...I knew it wasnt as bad as my imaginative mind was trying to lead me to believe.

Imagine my shock when I arrived at the scene at the number of people who had risked life and limb it would seem, crossing the busy road etc just to get a good look see. What exactly were they there for? To offer aid, to give CPR if needed, to direct traffic to prevent further accidents...? No!! All these gawkers merely wanted was a little taste of blood...they wanted to see broken bones and broken lives strewn out across the tarmac. They wanted to see the aftermath of horrible and careless driving...but of course not learn anything from it..and go on to cause the same...or maybe worse.

The worst action of all is that the ambulance was actually stuck in traffic just down the road...it would seem not one car could bother itself enough to get out of the way and let the ambulance through. We could see it and hear it...but not receive help from it. So close and yet so far. Every car that passed by had to slow down so that all of the occupants could also get their taste of blood...before speeding off and forgetting the whole scene of carnage they had just witnessed. Nobody learns a thing here in Bahrain when it comes to driving with care. If broken bodies and broken cars doesnt wake you up...what will?

I have to give a special shout out to the Bahraini man that actually had the nerve to horn at the Firemen to get out of his way that were sweeping the street free of glass...he must have seriously felt put out that he had to wait all of 2 minutes in order for the road to be made safe for his passage.

The one thing I am very greatful for is that my friend, typical Bahraini that she is, generally does not wear her seatbelt, despite my many many lectures on its safety...for some reason last night she actually had it on...which no doubt saved her life considering the condition of her car. Thank God for small miracles. I hope she has learned the value of that seatbelt and no more lectures will be needed from me...on this subject anyhow.

Thank you to the traffic police, fire department, and the few people who stopped and gave genuine help where needed. For the rest of you gawkers and impatient drivers...I can only hope that one day you are not laying in the road needing the ambulance and inconsiderate people such as youself are not too selfish to move and let it pass...after all...its only a life needing aid...not something important like a meeting at the coffeeshop..a favorite tv show coming on...or just the desire to not be put out by other peoples misfortunes...sigh!!

5 comments:

The Queen said...

I'm so glad she's ok. How frightening!

L_Oman said...

It never ceases to amaze me at how these people will park their cars just to get out and see if they get to see gore. My heart drops everytime I pass an accident scene, yet others find it totally acceptable to either video it on their mobile phones or take pictures. I don't understand it and I don't think I ever will.

Just yesterday I heard an ambulance coming up on traffic, so I weaved my way through to get to the shoulder. I'm sure I looked the fool with my jaw wide open as people would.not.let.it.through.

I am glad your friend is ok and sorry you had to witness what you did.

rebellious said...

Thanks ladies...she is doing better...at least she seems to have found a new appreciation for life...silver lining and all that.

Aafke said...

I'm glad to hear she's ok!

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

I read a book last summer called "Population: 485" by Michael Perry. He's a first responder and EMT in a small town in Wisconsin.

The book recounts a lot of accidents and scenes he's been to where he tries to help people in accidents and what a trained EMT/First Responder needs to go through in order to help the person in need.

Ever since reading it, I tend to NOT look at accident scenes. I'm not a squeamish person, but I had my fill of real-life gore and blood just by reading his book.

Perhaps more people in Bahrain should pick up a copy...